Saturday, June 9, 2007

Scrubs

12. Scrubs

Ah sweet syndication. It is because Comedy Central started airing Scrubs reruns from 7 to 8 every day that I decided to actually watch the new season this year. Which would make it the first season that I watched until its conclusion on NBC in probably 5 years. Although, watching the earlier seasons at the same time as the new season was a double-edged sword. On the one hand, let’s say the right, the first 3 seasons kick ass while on the other hand, that’s right left, the new season missed the ass in its attempt to kick it. Even if the 6th season of Scrubs was fantastic, I would still remember it for the audacity of having a main storyline where JD’s pregnant girlfriend fakes a miscarriage to push JD away. What the fudge? Did someone actually believe this was a good idea for a sitcom? Lifetime would have scoffed at that plot. Were they under psychiatric care when this was written? Fine, fine, let’s move on to the other dumb ideas during the season like Carla’s postpartum depression that, the war what is it good for episode, and the random-ass killing of Nurse Roberts. Scrubs always had a better touch with the serious stuff but they flew off the rails at some point in time. I’d wager that that point is located somewhere after Heather Graham left the show in the 4th season. I still find the right amount of good jokes in nearly every episode. That is why I still tuned in every Thursday this year. I still like the characters, I still find them funny, and I still enjoy the way that they show tells its jokes. If I were to hand an MVP award to someone this year it would probably go to Turk. That could be because of Turk’s Booty Breakdown during the Keri Russell episode. But what the heck, I wanted to point out the good work being done by Donald Faison. I am happy that Scrubs will be coming back next season, so I hope that the improvement over that was shown during the final months episodes will carry over till next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment