Friday, June 8, 2007

Boston Legal

13. Boston Legal

Sometimes I shock myself. Honestly, I don’t know why I started watching Boston Legal. I never tuned into The Practice and I have a healthy disgust towards your basic courtroom dramas. But the damn show is so entertaining and it forces me to continue to watch it week after week. Just watching William Shatner and James Spader act either borderline insane or distracted by nymphomania is just odd enough to be fun. I even find the dual tone of the show amusing and by dual tone that would be the 50 minutes of frivolity concluded with 10 minutes of super serious business. This only works because Spader is so sincere when he gives his closing arguments. Boston Legal is such an odd platform for soapboxing all of your political ideas. But here we are. After watching Spader hit on every chick, cross-dressing secretaries, purring lawyers, midgets riding seqway scooters, etc. etc. etc. then it is time to hear about what is wrong with America. Outside of the lunatic nature of the series, there is not much here that usually tickles my fancy. There are no real season-long storylines to highlight. It is lands smack dab in the one and done nature of episodic television. This season did have a trial that connected many of the early shows. Even that was just for a couple of the characters, Spader and Shatner still hit their same format for each of those episodes. Also since the cast is quite large, it is in constant flux. The peripheral characters pop in and out so just as you are starting to enjoy let’s say midget on scooter she disappears for a month. Then Delta Burke shows up only to go away immediately. I can’t remember if Tom Selleck, Betty White, or Michael J. Fox appeared this season but if they did when they left it sucked. Outside of these minor quibbles, I don’t have anything seriously negative to complain about. The show amuses me even if it is this far down on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment