Thursday, June 7, 2007

Prison Break

14. Prison Break

The funny thing is that there was a noticeable improvement in quality from season 1 to season 2. So imagine just how low of an opinion of season 1 I had. This show began with over-the-top development after over-the-top development. Season 2 was at least semi-plausible if still full of constant coincidences. That is my main problem with the show; everyone keeps running into each other. First they all get to know each other in jail, then they all break out of jail together, then everyone meets up in Utah, and finally at the end of the season they all converge in fricking Panama. Gathering in Central America is not exactly bumping into each other in New York City. Now it is time for a recurring theme in my television watching, the cast is huge and I could care less about many of them. Luckily for Prison Break they are not afraid to cull the field when necessary. Abruzzi, Tweener, Haywire, Evil Asian Guy, chick from The Craft, long lost dad, etc. were all removed during this season. There may have been more that I just don’t care to recall. So at the end of the season that left only Sucre, C-Note, and T-Bag as character storylines I can skip without a second thought. To clarify, if it isn’t Michael, Lincoln, Sarah, or crazy-ass William Fichtner I could really give a damn. Usually I choose characters because the acting is strong, but this time around I cannot use that as an excuse. It is not the acting that is the draw, it fact I don’t know what the draw is for me. Maybe these are the characters that at least have something resembling an enjoyable plotline. Remember I said enjoyable not coherent. And I mean enjoyable in the loosest and completely non-binding sense. I wouldn’t wish these ridiculous plot devices on any other show. Even One Tree Hill. Let’s see, there is capture, escape, capture, escape, capture, escape, capture, escape, and one more capture and escape. I also must admit that it is annoying that this show gets to ride the coattails of 24. Damn thing is not even fit to carry Kiefer’s luggage.

No comments:

Post a Comment