Sunday, January 31, 2010

Up in the Air

After Jason Reitman was able to make tobacco spokesmen and teen pregnancy funny, we now got to witness the humor in George Clooney as corporate downsizer. Up in the Air provided a role that Clooney just fit right into and carried the entire movie on his back.

If there is one thing that George Clooney excels at is being slick and wearing a suit. And Up in the Air took advantage of these strengths and gave us a Clooney character that seems to be, in fact, George Clooney. I don't know the man but if I were to meet him this how I would picture him acting. The ease at which he handles every situation and every body he comes in contact with is something that Clooney has mastered in his performances. Although the movie revolved around Clooney, Anna Kendrick and Vera Farmiga both came through as the two females who helped change the way Clooney looked at life. Throw in cameos for Jason Bateman, Danny McBride, and Zach Galifianakis and I was a happy consumer.

All of Reitman’s movies have this odd tone. He delivers a unique blend of humor and drama that allows for a serious film that’s also constantly funny. In fact Up in the Air was funny all the way up until the ending kicks you directly in the balls. I usually am pulling for the non-sappy ending but even I was blindsided this time around. This was one of those time where the ending improved my final opinion of the whole film.

Up in the Air delivered on the praise it was receiving prior to its release. I was already a fan of Reitman and Clooney but even this exceeded my expectations. Just phenomenal work all around.

9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment