Sunday, January 31, 2010

Inglourious Basterds

My bias towards Quentin Tarantino movies is so strong that I constantly struggle with not blindly giving everything he puts out perfect scores. So the answer to this problem is obvious, I’ll procrastinate for six months before reviewing it. In the end nothing has changed, Inglourious Basterds gets the gold star and I was just too lazy to write this.

Looking back on Inglourious Basterds I think the fact that everyone loves watching Nazis die will be my favorite memory. There may have been actual cheers from the audience when some of the Basterds were just unloading machine gun fire into a movie theater full of Nazis. They are like some sort of fictitious creation that allows you to glory in their pain without any of the guilt of wondering if this is right. Nazis are the villains that keep on giving even decades later. How awesome would it be if Jack Bauer could kill some Nazis? That would be the best season of 24 ever.

Although Brad Pitt is the face of Inglourious Basterds, in the end Christoph Waltz delivers the most memorable performance. Hans Landa, The Jew Hunter, dominates the first, third, and fifth chapters. His conversation with the Frenchman hiding the Dreyfus family was amazing in how it just kept swinging from menacing to hilarious with each sentence. Saying it now is not saying much because he’s already won every Best Supporting Actor award, but this should have been posted back in August with me saying that Waltz was going to win all those awards. I swears it. Everyone else is the usual Tarantino fed dialogue awesome. All names should be highlighted but in lieu of that … hey look it’s Mike Myers!

There is not much more to say. Inglourious Basterds was another chance for me to listen to Tarantino characters talk to each other. I can't think of many movie experiences I enjoy more than that. This time with Nazis.

10 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment