Sunday, January 31, 2010

Avatar

My brain is arguing with itself right now. James Cameron annoyed me so much during the lead-up to Avatar that I watched the movie with an agenda. Yet it was soooo pretty I don’t know what the write now. I need to be professional here … wait a second … why do I need to be professional? This isn't a job. Avatar needs to be seen but they only thing that it is going to change about movies is that now all blockbusters are going to feel like they should be in 3D. What a waste of my money when they all feel its okay to charge 2-3 dollars more than regular tickets for 3D.

So after 10 years, Cameron gives us blue people. Really pretty blue people that looked believable but still blue people in the classic style where aliens look exactly like humans just slightly different. This makes it slightly more acceptable when you find a 10 foot tall blue Zoe Saldana hot. Although I will continue to make fun of them, the Na’vi and the world were easily the best part of Avatar. This went well beyond what Peter Jackson accomplished with Gollum. In fact this may have been the first time my brain just accepted what was onscreen without seeing it as fancy CGI.

The only negative, even the word negative is too strong, was the story. The whole plot was obvious from the start. It was just a combination of humanity destroys everything it touches mixed with undercover operative falls for the people he’s spying on. Then we all learn a lesson about disrespecting blue people while also trying to take their resources. But were you really going to see Avatar because of the screenwriting? Really? That's on you.

So are we all cool with Sam Worthington as the new blockbuster star? That happened kind of fast. It was nice to get see a couple people I really like, Giovanni Ribisi, Michelle Rodriguez, even if their roles were brief and they didn't get to turn blue. The non-Ripley role for Sigourney Weaver in a Cameron movie was cute but it would have been better if she was Ripley. I miss good Alien movies. The best non-blue performance was just how over-the-top evil Stephen Lang. Just classically badass, introduced with a wicked scar and speaking in futuristic marine gruffness, who constantly wants to kill things. Perfect for a shit blowing up movie.

Well I guess I am praising Avatar here. Let it be known that even when I prejudge movies I can still be swayed by the product on screen. Although 3D may not shake the core of movie-making, Cameron produced something real purty that should be viewed at least once in a movie theater.

9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment