Sunday, October 14, 2007

TV from 10/7 - 10/13

Sunday (10/7)

Dexter

I finally found the right price to purchase the first season of Dexter, so I was able to speed through it then watch the first couple of episodes of the second season. This is definitely a show that I regret not watching last year. I don’t really have a good reason other than I don’t even remember when it debuted so by the time I found out about it the season was half over. Still, this is a show that is meant for my viewing pleasure. A serial killer that works for the police and only kills bad people, that is my kind of premise. This week’s episode has Dexter reeling from the authorities stumbling upon where he sinks his victims along with trying figure out his inability to kill since offing his brother in first season finale. Lots of good stuff, Dexter’s attempts to kill Little Chino, all of his scenes with his sister, Keith Carradine showing up, Dokes’ maniacal stalking of Dexter, this is a great show.

9 out of 10

Monday (10/8)

Prison Break

Well I think I have to be kind to this week’s episode because they did insinuate that it was Sara’s head in the box. I don’t believe it because she is too important of a character to kill off screen, but that is what has been said so far. Nothing else really relevant to talk about it is just the regular stuff, Michael scheming, Linc scheming, T-Bag scheming, Sucre whining, whatever. The whole thing is repetitive.

4 out of 10

Chuck

Blah. This is not growing into a show that I will follow through to its conclusion. I am already watching the whole thing in fast forward. There doesn’t seem to be any emphasis on a show or season long storyline. Instead we get secret agent plot of the week. This time Chuck dances and that’s about all I remember. The action isn’t good enough to make up for the show’s deficiencies so I am starting to sour.

5 out of 10

Heroes

This is still moving at a snail’s pace, which is just a conceit of the show. The highlights for this week were some movement with Mohinder’s story, Jack finding out what is in store for him, the return of Sylar, and another Star Trek cameo. The Mohinder/Jack taking on the Company is probably the best thing going right now. I will remove my support for this plot if Jack dies; there is no Heroes if Horn-Rimmed Glasses man is not around. I was also a big fan of Sylar murdering the illusionist because she deserved it for screwing with Sylar. I have nothing to say about Grandma Uhura. On the other hand; Maya boring, Irish Peter boring, no Haitian, no Nathan, and ancient Japan is not all that interesting. But that is just the way Heroes go, some good, some bad.

6 out of 10

Weeds


This has been such a weird season. It isn’t building to anything, yet there is only a few episodes left. Peter’s death is still hanging around ready to screw Nancy’s life, but it seems like the show is waiting for Nancy to put her business back together before the DEA comes knocking. Well, this week started putting all of those pieces in place. Nancy is going full steam with selling weed again, the 38-pound Olson twin joins the team while Silas becomes Conrad’s bitch. I have high hopes for that arc because it hopefully means more Conrad and maybe even Heylia in every episode. I hate Celia so I don’t care about Dean becoming an invalid. The Nancy and Peter’s ex-wife may end up being worthwhile. I hope they are building to something decent to end the season.

7 out of 10

Californication


Damnit. This was not a good follow-up to last week’s fantastic episode. It could be that the show is better without Mia or Bill involved. Hank losing the material he had written because he was carjacked is a really lame excuse for making sure his life stays screwed up. The Hank and Karen scenes were painful because Hank is more fun when he is being a dick or when he is trashed. Charlie’s wife is a lesbian now? Huh? I do not look forward to the revelation that Hank slept with Mia because it is wrong that I am supporting the adult. But man Mia is an awful person.

6 out of 10

Tuesday (10/9)

Bones


Horse fetish? Is that what Bones has become? My hope that the cannibal society from the premiere episode would turn into a season-long arc was stupid and I should have known better. At least the chick that murdered her pony/guy/lover was hot. The Angela hypnosis story was fine but forgettable. All and all in was a rather dull hour.

5 out of 10

House


Have I mentioned how much I am loving this season? After last year became too serious, it seems like the mood has lightened. This has righted the House and Wilson relationship so that their interactions are back to being the best part of the show. This week it was Wilson’s saying “Good times” after being invited to an eye removal, plus Wilson fixing up then stepping in for House after he stuck a knife in the light socket. The Foreman B-plot was just more confirmation that he belongs with House since he is House Jr. or maybe Black House. The potential hires subplot is still holding up so I have no complaints.

8 out of 10

The Unit


I knew that we were going back to the usual episode structure this week, so I was just hoping that the first one would be strong enough to keep me interested. Surprisingly, this was still fun. The flying scenes include some cool maneuvers. Watching the Colonel and Mack abuse the guy trying to rebuild the command center was amusing. And Jonas in the Hazmat suit worked. I am still at a loss about what is going on with Mack and his wife, so that drags in every episode. Plus Bob’s wife at the radio station was fast forward material. Still, the whole package was good enough.

6 out of 10

Reaper


I don’t have much to say here. It is fun enough to bring me back week after week, but it is not excelling at anything. Ray Wise is the best part every week. But once the Devil disappears it becomes just a kind of funny buddy show. The bounty this week was chick made of bugs so we got some bad CG. Kind of drawing a blank, so that tells you how memorable this show is to me.

5 out of 10

Damages


Another freaking fantastic episode, I am going to feel the loss of this show a couple of weeks from now. There are just 2 episodes left and I still have no idea how this season or series is going to conclude. If there is going to be a season 2 then there has to be some sort of the reconciliation between Patty and Ellen but that seems very unlikely. This week we got to see enough of Patty after the fiancĂ©’s death that I doubt she had anything to do with it. It looks like her breakdown may have been caused by Ray blowing the back of his head off right in front of Patty. I did not see that coming at all. Not much Frobisher this week, but with Ray’s suicide we are building to something with Frobisher and his lawyers. That is made even more obvious with Jack McCall from Deadwood showing up to replace Ray, that dude is a menace. Damages kicks ass.

9 out of 10

Wednesday (10/10)

Bionic Woman


I really like where this show is heading. Everything seems to be falling into place and the structure looks to be more about moving Jaime’s story along instead of dealing with a threat of the week. That makes it the style of show that I enjoy. The Jaime Sommer/Sarah Corvus interactions were great this week. Lots of information was revealed and it is nice that Sarah seems to be a grey character instead of pure evil. Plus we got a couple more sweet training sequences with Jae and even got attacked by a pipe-wielding Isaiah Washington. I hope they can keep it up and build something memorable here.

7 out of 10

Life

I’m still here and I am starting to like this more than Chuck or Reaper. This is very unexpected but I am really digging Charlie tracking down who ruined his life. The cop procedural stuff doesn’t really interest me, but shows like House and Bones have overcame my bias to that stuff so it is not unheard of. Charlie confronting the detective who worked his case was by far the best scene of the episode. But it was still fun to seem him purchase that tricked out car, pull over the man who married his ex-wife again, and the coyotes were amusing too. Maybe this show will stick around.

6 out of 10

Thursday (10/11)

Smallville


Aw yeah. This is the craptastic show that I fast forward through week after week, year after year. No Lois is an automatic deduction. Limited Chloe also hurts the cause. Extensive Lana makes it the worst possible combination of the three. I guess I can be nice and say that I was expecting much worse out of this Supergirl plotline. Nice Guy Lex can only work if they stick with it long enough. Hey look Jimmy came back! Well, at least there were bikinis but bikinis with out Lois seems like someone screwed up.

3 out of 10

Damages holds on to the top spot but Dexter shows up and bumps House out of the second slot. Thankfully next week all the Fox shows are skipped for baseball so this won't have to be so much damn work. Then once October ends, Weeds, Californication, and Damages seasons finish so I might be able to get the reviews under 10 a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment