Sunday, October 14, 2007

Into the Wild

I’ve been waiting and waiting for a movie to knock me upside the head and tell me that this is now the best thing you have seen this year. I did not expect that movie to be Into the Wild. The reviews told me it would be good, but this went well beyond good. This was a flawless film. You can credit the story, or Emile Hirsch’s performance, or Sean Penn’s direction, or just about anything associated with the creation of this movie. I just credit the fact that this smartass kid spent 2 years preparing to ditch society and live in the Alaskan wilderness ... 2 months later he starves to death. That is my kind of story.

First things first, Into the Wild is a beautiful film. Throughout the story, there are moments where the scenery is just breathtaking. This kid journeyed through much of the western half of the United States and Penn makes sure to capture each of his stops along the way. The Southwestern desert, the California coast, Midwestern cornfields, the Colorado River, and finally just some of the best shots of Alaska you will ever see. I could have watched this movie without sound and just relaxed and watched the scenery fly by. Also want to at least mention the soundtrack/score of Into the Wild. I may not be a Pearl Jam fan, but I can recognize Eddie Vedder. So the film had a nice mixture of songs that you have heard before in these types of stories plus a handful of original music by Vedder. All of it worked to just enhance the entire experience.

Seeing as I want to highlight just about every significant performance from Into the Wild, I will try to keep it short. Obviously Emile Hirsch needs to be applauded first. He is the rock of the film. This was a role that in a lesser actor’s hands could turn the audience against the film. Christopher McCandless was stubborn, idealistic, and abandoned everyone that cared for him but Hirsch is able to make you still pull for him. This kid is teaching and learning at the same time throughout his journey. You believe every relationship that he develops along the way because they feel real. All of this is leading to his time alone in Alaska. These were amazing scenes to watch; especially once every thing starts spiraling out of control. This was definitely worthy of award recognition. Every other performance is a character whose life was affected by McCandless. The most memorable is Hal Holbrook who comes to love Chris so much that he offers to adopt him. Watching this stubborn old man climb a hill because of Chris’ mocking was unbelievable. I have to move on to my man Vince Vaughn next. Even in this serious movie, you can’t keep the man down. He is pretty much Vince Vaughn here but you can see how he becomes a real mentor to McCandless. The hippies come next. This is probably the best thing Catherine Keener has ever done. All of her scenes with Chris are heartbreaking because of how much he reminds her of the son she is no longer in touch with. Kristen Stewart kicked ass but then again she was in Panic Room so of course she rules. Finally we get to the McCandless family. His sister and the movie’s narrator was played by Jena Malone. Her relationship and love for her brother is one of my favorite parts of the film. As for the parents, wow do they suck. Of course William Hurt is just amazing as the father. How could this kid have grown up normal with that as his environment? Top to bottom, this was one of the best-acted movies of the year.

I don't feel that I am adequately explained the power of Into the Wild. There have not been many films that actually made me stop and think when they are end. Usually I stop and think why I just sat there for the last 2 hours. I sure as hell hope that it isn't cause I relate to the story, because I don't want to be anything like that idiot. There isn't a high enough recommendation that I can make. See Into the Wild.

10 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment