Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kick-Ass

So after a long wait Kick-Ass was finally released to the world and it was damn near exactly as I expected. Luckily I had extremely high expectations and was gifted with a movie that I will watch every single time it shows up on cable. There were points where I thought this may have been the perfect action movie … it wasn’t but there were moments.

No more shying away from the most important part of Kick-Ass, Chloe Moretz is this movie pure and simple. Once Hit Girl is introduced it became a game of waiting until she was onscreen again. Every single second was a highlight reel. From Big Daddy shooting her to show her what feels like, to all of the hilariously inappropriate profanity, to the 25+ bodies she racks up. Her fight scenes have already earned their place in my all-time favorites. They even accomplished making the first person perspective video game look work for one of the scenes. I wouldn’t want a whole movie in that style but for a couple of minutes it was fun. I'm not saying she should get the Best Supporting Actress but her name should be thrown into the discussion.

There were no bad performances here. Aaron Johnson was able to make Kick-Ass believable, while Nic Cage went the other way and made Big Daddy damn near insane. He shifted from this really goofy loving dad into a fricking Adam West impersonation when in costume. Mark Strong was his usual standout self by mixing actual menace with some great moments of humor. McLovin is McLovin and he excels at it. One of the minor characters who deserves mention is Clark Duke. He improved every scene he was in just be giving a look.

Matthew Vaughn only has three movies to his credit but that is all it has taken for me to want as the director of any movie I am looking forward to. His choices for Kick-Ass were damn near perfect. He was able to keep the tone serious enough that the whole thing never became ridiculous but it was still constantly funny. And all of the soundtrack choices were phenomenal, they just enhanced the awesomeness of Hit Girl in action. I can't see what he moves onto next.

If it weren't for the jetpack, I may have thought about giving Kick-Ass a perfect score. No worries though, it got the job done. I do feel bad for people that can't get past what Hit Girl does in the movie. From everything I've been able find out, this actually isn't real and Chloe Moretz only killed about 3 people on set.

9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment