Monday, December 10, 2007

The Mist

I like to dip my toe into the horror genre every once and awhile and for this go around The Mist steps up to the plate. With Stephen King, Frank Darabont, and Thomas Jane I thought it was a decent choice. I was wrong but it is the thought that counts. There was nothing memorable about The Mist; it came through and delivered the usual without breaking any new ground.

Should I credit The Mist for creating such a despicable character that the crowd cheered at her death? Cause if I were to pick out the best part of the movie it would be the deserved death of Marcia Gay Harden’s character. I’m not entirely sure if this is a positive because Mrs. Carmody was so unlikable that everyone just began counting the moments until she was disposed of. From the moment she started preaching you knew it wasn’t going to end well for anybody. Then sacrificing folks? What the hell is that?

Thomas Jane may have been the star of the movie but Toby Jones delivers the best performance. The Mist won’t bring nominations but Jones is a lot of fun as the grocery bagman who ends up rolling with Jane and being the best shot of everyone in the store. As for Jane, he was fine but nothing to write home about. The same goes for Andre Braugher as Janes litigious neighbor. This is a horror movie and everyone has his or her basic parts to play before dying horribly.


One of the main problems for me were the bug-monsters because they never scared me. They seemed too colorful and fake looking. Everyone is cowering in fear and I’m laughing to myself. That’s not good. Add to that the completely irrational ending. It was awesome that they did what they did but it just doesn’t make sense. Why resort to that so fast? Couldn’t you have waited a couple minutes before doing the deed? At least it meant that the movie had ended.

So hey, I'm not a fan of horror movies. I am more than willing to give them a shot once and awhile but I usually end up disappointed. And that is what The Mist did. I went in with very little expectations and yet it didn't even deliver on those. Ah well, I took a shot.

5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment