Sunday, December 2, 2007

Beowulf

Beowulf has completely shutdown my ability to review movies. I’ve been sitting on this for nearly 3 weeks and I just have nothing to say so this one will be short just so I can get it over with. It was alright. I have no idea if it stayed true to the original story because I’m fairly certain that Beowulf was one of the those English assignments that I “read” before taking a test based completely on my class notes. The animation is weird and not at the level that I believe moviemakers want it to be at. I guess what I’m saying is that this felt like I was watching an extremely long video game cut scene with a decent story.

How the hell wasn’t Beowulf rated R? This was a seriously violent movie but its still PG-13 because what? Animation? Violent towards monsters? The naked Angelina Jolie didn’t have nipples? That wasn't Anthony Hopkins actual bare ass? Strange rules we live by.

If I had my choice, I would rather not watch movies with this style of animation. Everybody looks off. They are shiny, the words don’t seem like they are coming from their mouths, and the eyes look like they are staring off into space half the time. It did allow for monsters, dragons, and naked demon Jolie, so I can see why they went with it. I would just prefer to see live human beings doing stuff.


Lots of folks provided voices and movements but is it really a great performance by Ray Winstone or Anthony Hopkins? It was definitely quality voice-over work by the lot of them. I don't know what else to say.

This was probably the best 3D movie that I have seen so far. But saying that puts at at the top of a very small list. The movie was filmed that way so all sorts of stuff flies at the camera even if there is no reason for it. Much like the animation I don't see this as a huge improvement in moviemaking.

Beowulf will soon be forgotten by me. In fact I am having a difficult time remembering it right now. This was a decent action movie that used animation tricks and 3D to make it seem more than it was.

6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment