Monday, May 31, 2010

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

So this is the type of summer it’s going to be, huh? You can’t even do me the favor of making awful big budget movies. Instead I get movies like Price of Persia: The Sands of Time, which is harmless and forgettable. Hooray … wait … what did I just see?

The main thing I took out of Prince of Persia is that I wish this were an R-rated Assassin’s Creed movie. If you are going to make a video game into a movie at least give me one that glorifies sudden death by knives. The best parts of this movie were when Dastan was parkouring through the villages. I was okay with it until they literally copied the Assassin’s Creed panoramic viewpoint shot when he stood at the edge of a rooftop. Maybe one day the right game will be adapted and it will disappoint me in some other astonishing way.

Finally, someone had the guts to cast Jake Gyllenhaal as a summer movie action hero. And in another shock he got the job done. He may have fallen into the more sarcastic side of hero but it was nothing too annoying. Action hero doesn’t really need much more than a look so good on Jake for working out like a madman. Gemma Arterton is supposed to be a Persian princess? Wait a second everyone is American or British! Did Persia move since the last time I looked at a historical map? Ah well; if that is what it takes to get Ben Kingsley and Alfred Molina to class up a video game adaptation I understand. Come on … Ben Kingsley!

There is not much else to say about Prince of Persia. If you’ve seen any popcorn movies in your life, you could call out the scenes before they happened. And I’m unsure if a movie with The Sands of Time in the title makes the ending acceptable. Because if not, that was a whole lot of time spent on nothing.

6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment