Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Hangover

I’m tired of comedies teaching me a lesson through watching adolescent-minded guys grow up by the end of the story; The Hangover is just funny from beginning to end.  The trailers and commercials definitely worked in building up my anticipation and thankfully not only did the movie deliver it actually exceeded on nearly every level.

Lets try not to have this review degenerate into listing off all of my favorite scenes.  I have been a fan of both Bradley Cooper and Zach Galifianakis for years now and it was nice to the see the both of them get a chance to showcase themselves in a worthwhile movie.  Cooper as the ringleader and more or less straight-man gets to just react to all of the ridiculousness.  Although his character is a dick so there is some great moments of him saying or doing something awful.  Cracking a window for the baby, blackmailing the cops, stealing his students field trip money, etc.  As for Galifianakis, there may not be enough words of praise that can be written.  His character is damn near another version of his stand-up act, but since I love his stand-up I was more than happy to see it on the big-screen.  We even got a “Fat Jesus” joke in there.  He is just so awkward that it is hard to even explain what he is doing.  If anything comes from The Hangover, I hope it’s that these two guys get better roles in the near future.

I may have not highlighted the rest of the cast but Ed Helms, Heather Graham, Ken Jeong, Mike Epps, Jeffrey Tambor, and Justin Bartha all deliver when they are onscreen.  There was, of course, Mike Tyson who was one of the main selling points and is just as awesome in the movie as he was in the trailers.  I hope the DVD has the entirety of him singing “In The Air Tonight”.

Outside of just saying that The Hangover started off funny and didn't slip in quality at any point.  It even held off its craziest joke for the credits.  It's rare for me to enjoy a comedy as much as I did here.  I cannot wait to see this thing a second time.  

9 out of 10    

No comments:

Post a Comment