Thursday, February 22, 2007

Breach

This is way too early in the year for a great movie. I have been trained to view the film calendar in the 4 parts. We are smack dab in the middle of part A. January through April is a barren wasteland, there are okay movies here and there but the vast majority of movies released at this time are there to distract at best. Usually they suck and suck hard. Well Breach screwed with the timetable. I am thoroughly flummoxed about this.

Well, Chris Cooper should get an Oscar nomination. The problem is that the 2006 Academy Awards haven’t even happened yet so by the time the next season roles around all this will be forgotten. I won’t overlook what you did here Mr. Cooper; I got your back. There were also fine efforts provided by Ryan Phillippe and Laura Linney. But just like Chris Cooper, it is not surprising that they delivered here. The casting of this movie was nearly perfect. Outside of the big three at the top, commanding presence FBI guy played by Dennis Haysbert, middle management FBI guy played by Gary Cole, paranoid wife played by girl who had toy animals talking to her on Wonderfalls, all good stuff. Thankfully the story clicked along with the acting. It may not be the greatest espionage plot ever but it kept me involved until the handcuffs were snapped in place. Plus it was a true story for that great skin-crawling feeling.


It is nice to have this level of movie show up so early in the year. I now already have a top-shelf film to start my 2007 list. Usually I am throwing shit against the wall because there mathematically has to be a top five even in April when I actually haven’t seen 5 movies worth recommending yet. So what that nobody saw it! I did my part and that is really all that matters to me.

9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment