Thursday, December 17, 2009

Ninja Assassin

Seeing the Ninja Assassin trailer in front of nearly every movie over the last 6 months was an easy way to build up some unattainable expectations. Then again its ninjas with lots of blood everywhere so what was I really expecting? It would have been very hard for me to despise Ninja Assassin based completely on the sheer amount of action it contained. Multiple fighting scenes are a quick way to my heart.

I’m starting to wonder if I will live to see the day where a Hollywood production will do justice to kung fu that Hong Kong cinema has excelled at for decades upon decades. Instead of highlighting the actual fight itself, Ninja Assassin falls back on darkness, loud effects, and quick editing. So instead of being awed by the skills being displayed in the scene, it is more about making me jump at the cool moments. This could have been so much more yet I still complain about this with every failed Hollywood attempt. I think the problem could be me.

The ninja in question is portrayed by Rain who definitely threw himself into the role. There is nothing like filming multiple scenes with your shirt off to make you work out like a madman. He also looked at home whenever he was in action. Hopefully he gets a chance in a more classical kung fu production.

It would be nice if I could point out this great scene from Ninja Assassin, but it all runs together. There wasn't that one fight that needs to watched over and over again. This is my main fault; although the movie was fun it just wasn't memorable at all.

6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment